What is Stranded Gas?
Stranded gas is natural gas that is located in a remote location where there is no existing infrastructure to transport the gas to a market. In many cases, stranded gas is either vented or flared, which is not only wasteful but also harmful to the environment (methane is one of the most potent GHGs with a global warming potential that is estimated to be more than 20 times greater than that of carbon dioxide over a 100-year time horizon).
One potential solution to this problem is to use the stranded gas to create electrical power. This is done by using the natural gas as the fuel for a reciprocating engine-based generator. The electricity produced can then be fed into the power grid or it could be consumed locally.
With stranded gas, it is quite probable that the site is remote enough that it is not economical to get the electricity to the grid. Therefore, the electricity needs to be consumed locally.
There are probably infinite number of uses for locally generated power (e.g., power the oilfield equipment running the site, power a greenhouse, power an industrial site, powering a car charging station, etc.) but one of the solutions that Collicutt has developed recently centers around cryptocurrency mining.
Cryptocurrency mining uses a lot of electrical power and it usually gets this power from the local electrical grid. This can be challenging for a few major reasons:
- Grid power can be very costly for the mining companies
- It can add “unnecessary” load to the power grid which may be straining to fulfill demand (depending on the location and time of the year)
- The grid power may be relying on fossil fuels like coal to create their power which only exacerbates GHG emissions and other pollutants
Working with a few of our customers, Collicutt has developed a power generation solution for crypto mining companies. As part of this process, we:
- Determine the electrical load requirements for the crypto mining operation
- Evaluate the gas composition of the stranded gas
- Design a custom tuned reciprocating engine and generator based on these parameters
- Containerize the solution to protect it from the elements and from vandalization
- Provide a remote monitoring solution so the system can be monitored via the web
- Provide lifecycle maintenance and support for the system
The resulting solutions provide a more economical power source for crypto mining enterprises that concurrently reduce greenhouse gas emissions from methane, reduce GHG and other pollutants from grid power, and reduce overall grid power requirements.
If you and your team are looking to either more effectively use your stranded natural gas or for a more economical and environmentally friendly power source for your crypto mining system, this approach may offer a viable solution.
For more information on this or any other power generation solution, contact us via email or at the number below:
888.682.6888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more News, click HERE.